Sunday, November 1, 2009

Debates that make my head want to explode

Debate question: Should Canada's judiciary be made more representative by imposing policies to make it more representative?

Majority opinion: No, we should not ensure the judiciary is more representative through policies because then we'd appoint less than qualified judges. What structural inequalities? We think having a group of white, middle-aged, middle to upper-middle class males ensures that the interpretation of our laws will be as impartial and unbiased as possible. This group is just better, even if they haven't experienced a majority of the experiences of the Canadian population. Female and minority judges just don't make the cut, if they just worked harder they could become part of the judiciary too.

My opinion: Excuse me while I go puke on myself.

Seriously I had to debate in this context. Myself versus three or four others. I was just thinking, am I really in an academic setting right now? What the f*ck is going on?

A very surprised,
SG

2 comments:

Masahiro said...

Even if you were in academic mode would you seriously give a crap about that question?

Stay-At-Home Gay said...

To be honest, I thought the answer was obvious. But to be sure, I wouldn't have ever thought it was important until it was actually presented to us to debate.

I didn't care before, but I care a lot more now. It's interesting... maybe that was the point of the exercise...

Ohh, hidden learning, how sneaky.